Below are 5 great tips on how to create habits that last. These are:
- Gamify your life when building habits
- Share your goals with the people around you
- Set your target as your wallpaper
- Put in the minimum effort needed to form a habit
- Crave the reward from your new habit
Point 3 is particularly pertinent I think: decide what your goals are for content marketing, for example:
- 1 Passle post a week
- 3 tweets a week
- Sharing 4 pieces of content to LinkedIn groups
- Send out a weekly newsletter of content
Make sure that the goals are completely achievable (thus fulfilling point 4), and stick them on your wallpaper (or even have it printed on your mousepad, why not?).
In his book The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg proposed the idea of a habit loop. There is the cue: the trigger for your habit; the routine: the behavior itself; and lastly, the reward: the joy you derive from the habit. On top of that, there is the craving, which links the cue with the action and the reward.