Since the latest Instagram release to include stories I have been wondering whether I really should persevere with Snapchat. This is a question I am very much open to comments on!
More recently I have been asked by clients and peers who are wondering if Snapchat can aid their business from a B2B perspective.
So what is the right answer? As with any content strategy you always need to start with your audience. Fundamentally is your audience on Snapchat or even Instagram?
The data below demonstrates the growth of Snapchat however there is certainly more to this than meets the eye. It would appear neither platform releases data that can be directly compared but these statistics provide a good overview:
- 60% of Snapchat users are under 25 and 23% have not yet graduated from school.
- 55% of Instagram users are aged between 18-29 and 39% are aged between 30-64.
- 2% of Snapchat users are over 55 with 15% of Instagram users over the age of 50.
- Total number of daily active users on Snapchat is 200 million compared to 400 million active users on Instagram
- 26% of those who make over $75k a year use Instagram and 32% of online adults who live in urban areas are using Instagram.
In summary I would currently see Snapchat as a valuable recruitment tool for school leavers and graduates. If I only had resource for one platform I would choose Instagram since it has a wider demographic, chances of influencing are higher and a better community feel with search/Facebook suggestions. It is also the second most accessed social media platform after Facebook.
Whilst the target audience is important it is important that those sharing the content are the right demographic so the content is authentic. In an ideal scenario you would have different contributors handling both platforms.
Snapchat has been right so far and with more than half of new users over the age of 25 it would be worth starting to invest some resource.
Snapchat may not be as familiar to marketers as Facebook and Instagram, but its dedicated user base can’t be ignored. Think about these two facts for a moment: The entire population of the world is 7.4 billion people. Snapchatters watch more than 10 billion videos every day. (That’s way up from the 2 billion per day they watched in May 2015.)